Sunday, September 27, 2015

I am an INTJ



After completing the Keirsey Temperament Test, I’ve discovered I am an “INTJ”. The letters, which represent traits of my personality type, stand for Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, and Judging. Here is a short video which helps better understand what an INTJ is. These traits affect my writing in many ways, both positively and negatively. As an introvert, most of the writing I do is done in my head, by myself. Also, I rarely seek out help from others. Being an introvert has worked out fine for me and my writing since I have a pretty good inner dialogue, which (once I actually get started writing) helps me write without much planning and/or effort. Writing with intuition, is something I do to a certain extent. For the most part I write my first drafts pretty plainly and sometimes they can pretty incoherent to everyone except myself. This is where my inner dialogue comes into play; I can view what I’ve written down and expand on thoughts or ideas since I know what exactly it is that I meant, even when no one else does. At the same time, I do like to write with factual information and examples, rather than just what I intuitively think. The thinking trait is very apparent in this aspect. I like my papers to be clear, organized, and straight to the point, which can make some of my writing a bit dull. In the future I may try to combat this by inserting more details and examples with a personal touch in my papers. The judging trait means that my life and desired outcomes are organized by myself, and so I usually stick to my own plan, rather than take advice from others. This can be detrimental to my writing if I let it be. If I don’t apply writing tools and techniques that I learn in class, it’s likely that my level of writing won’t advance. The description for the “INTJ” personality type seems to be a spot-on description of myself. There are definitely some traits that can possibly hold me back in my writing, but I’m certain that I can adapt and overcome any obstacles that may present themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment